September is FALL PREVENTION Month!!!
Did You Know???
- One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury.
- Each year, 2.8 million older people are treated in emergency departments for fall injuries.
- Over 800,000 patients a year are hospitalized because of a fall injury, most often because of a head injury or hip fracture.
- Each year at least 300,000 older people are hospitalized for hip fractures.
- More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling, usually by falling sideways.
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
- Adjusted for inflation, the direct medical costs for fall injuries are $31 billion annually. Hospital costs account for two-thirds of the total.
Visit our site regularly through the month of September. Learn of the resources available to you that can keep you safe and healthy! And be on the look out for VERN, he will be making stops all around Green Valley to get the message out!
Our Special Visitor, “VERN VERTICAL”
HAVE YOU SEEN “VERN”???
V Vision – Have your eyesight checked yearly. Good lighting is essential for your safety, especially at night.
E Education and exercise – SHiM® provides fall prevention education and resources for local exercise programs.
R Review meds and risk factors – SHiM® looks at your health, medications and your home safety, creating an awareness of these.
N Now is the time for SHiM® – Call today and schedule your SHiM® visit. We’ll come to you. 520-625-5966
SHiM® an evidence-based Fall Prevention Program from Valley Assistance Services, Green Valley Fire District, and the U of A.